Tasty vegetarian pizza
- Baked pizza dough- prepare enough for one 12 inch pizza. use your favorite recipe or buy ready made at your local grocer
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup artichokes hearts in water cut into quarters
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms sliced, stems removed
- 6 oz mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbled
- 1/2 cup fresh basil thinly sliced,(chiffonade)
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Make Pizza dough, should be baked to a very light golden color, you don’t want to over bake dough, it will be going back in the oven. Set aside, should be room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 400 or grill to High.
3. Coat the bottom of large sauté pan with olive oil, or a mixture of olive oil and butter (about 1 teaspoon per onion). Heat the pan on medium high heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the red onion slices and stir to coat the red onions with the oil. Spread the red onions out evenly over the pan and let cook, stirring occasionally. Until nicely caramelized. Remove and set aside.
4. Add more oil to pan Heat to medium high heat until the oil is shimmering and add shitake mushrooms, stirring occasionally until lightly browned, add artichoke hearts and cook until heated, about 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
5. In same pan add more oil and sauté red bell pepper lightly, it should retain some crunch. Set aside.
6. Take your baked pizza dough; brush very lightly with Olive oil (about a 1 tsp.)Sprinkle shredded mozzarella over entire pizza dough, Start to layer toppings, top with onion, next mushroom/artichoke mixture, and next red bell pepper. Add salt & pepper to taste.
7. Bake for 15 minutes at 400o, Remove pizza add Gorgonzola cheese crumbles to pizza put back in oven for 5 minutes or until Gorgonzola is lightly melted.
8. Remove from oven and top with fresh basil, a drizzle of olive oil, and serve.